What is Labiaplasty?
What Does Labiaplasty (Labia Surgery) Entail?
Labia surgery, known as labiaplasty or labia reduction surgery, is designed to reduce the size of the labia minora (smaller, inner vaginal lips). It is very important to choose a labiaplasty surgeon who is experienced and specializes in this procedure. Dr. Troy Robbin Hailparn of the Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio (formerly the Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Institute™ of San Antonio) has received specialized training in this area and has performed nearly 800 labiaplasties since being trained in 2003. She is also the author of Beneath Your Pink Perfect: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Labiaplasty But Didn't Know to Ask, a labiaplasty e-book in which Dr. Hailparn and her patients share details and insights into labiaplasty.
Who is a Candidate for Labiaplasty?
Appearance of labia minora naturally varies from woman to woman. Many women are born with large labia minora or experience changes in the appearance of their labia following childbirth. Some women want a labiaplasty purely for cosmetic reasons, others may also suffer from discomfort or irritation from large labia minora and labia reduction may help resolve these symptoms.
- Pain/pulling/discomfort/irritation with intercourse
- Pain/pulling/discomfort/irritation with certain activities/exercise/clothing
- Unable to wear certain clothes/lingerie/bikinis
- Irritation with prolonged sitting or walking
- Multi-directional urine stream
- Odor and other hygiene issues
- Unhappy with appearance due to asymmetry or pigmentation or length
- Previous Labia Minora Reduction surgery desiring evaluation for surgical correction
- Inhibits patient from sexual activity, self-conscious, and embarrassed due to extra tissue
You can download our labiaplasty candidate checklist for your convenience.
Labiaplasty is done under either general or local anesthesia, in an out-patient surgery center, and depending on the complexity can take about 60-90 minutes. During labia surgery, a scalpel is used to contour the labia. Depending on the patients needs and wishes:
- both labia can be reduced
- a single side can be reduced so the labia are symmetrical in size
- pigmented edges can be removed so they are pink and present a more youthful appearance. Some women prefer to keep the darkened labia and that can also be accomplished.
Importance of Choosing a Highly Experienced Doctor for Your Labia Surgery
When it comes to labia surgery (labiaplasty), many regard it as simple surgery; a matter of just cutting off the enlarged labia minora (inner lips). In our opinion, this couldn't be further from the truth. Labia surgery is intricate and requires a high degree of expertise to achieve desired results. You do not want to entrust this part of your body to an inexperienced surgeon. A plastic surgeon may or may not have expertise with this type of vaginal cosmetic surgery. That's why, when considering labia surgery, it is important to consider the experience and training of the labiaplasty surgeon.
Most patients leave the out-patient surgery center within one to two hours following the labia surgery. They return to the doctor's office the next day for a post-op checkup and to have any questions answered. Patients receive pain and anti-inflammatory medications and can usually return to work within a week. Full recovery takes about 6-8 weeks contingent on the individual's healing process. Because of the very fine, absorbable sutures used for the labiaplasty, there is usually very little scarring and the scars may not be visible to the eye because they are hidden in the creases and folds of the labia. Sensation may even be enhanced because of the new nerve endings and removal of the tissue.
The cost of labiaplasty varies from patient to patient and depends on the complexity of the case and whether additional cosmetic gynecology procedures are being performed (some women also desire a clitoral hood reduction when they get a labiaplasty). Our labiaplasty price, as with vaginal rejuvenation and other procedures, is all-inclusive; meaning the cost of the out-patient surgery center, pre-op laboratory tests, doctor's fee, and anesthesiologist are included in the labiaplasty price we give you.
If you would like more information on labiaplasty or to schedule a consult with Dr. Hailparn, feel free to call our office at 210-615-6646 or schedule a consult online. We're happy to answer any questions you have.
More Labiaplasty Information
- Labiaplasty Reviews
- Read these labiaplasty reviews from some of Dr. Hailparn's actual patients.
- Labiaplasty Surgery: Why Women Want Labia Reduction Surgery
- Some women want labiaplasty surgery for purely aesthetic reasons, while others have medical or functional issues that need to be addressed.
- Labiaplasty Gone Wrong: Botched Labiaplasty
- When labiaplasty goes wrong, it can leave the patient traumatized. Read this story. See labiaplasty gone wrong photos. Discover the importance of finding the right doctor.
- What is a Clitoral Hood Reduction, Hoodectomy?
- When getting a labiaplasty, some women also ask for a clitoral hood reduction, aka hoodectomy. Discover what that's about.