What is a Clitoral Hood Reduction, Hoodectomy?
A hood reduction (clitoral hood reduction, hoodectomy, prepuce reduction) is for women who have thickened skin (prepuce tissue) over the clitoris. This can reduce sexual pleasure by interfering with stimulation and decreasing sensitivity. Some women have found that by decreasing or removing the clitoral hood, sexual pleasure is increased.
What Causes the Need for a Hood Reduction, Hoodectomy?
The clitoral hood is a fold of skin that surrounds and protects the clitoral glans. Women may develop a thickened clitoral hood as a result of a hormonal issue, ingesting steroids or genetics. Women with excess prepuce tissue sometimes find it difficult to reach climax or can’t achieve orgasm at all because the clitoris is restricted or covered by too much prepuce tissue.
Who Should Perform a Clitoral Hood Reduction?
While this is a very safe outpatient procedure, many gynecologists will not and should not perform a clitoral hood reduction because of their lack of experience. Dr. Hailparn has the proper training and extensive experience with hood reduction surgery and many times performs a hoodectomy in conjunction with a labiaplasty (view labiaplasty with hoodecomy before and after pictures).
If you have any questions about clitoral hood reduction surgery, you can book a consult by clicking the green tab on the left or call us at the Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio.
Learn About Labiaplasty
- What is Labiaplasty?
- Explanation of labiaplasty. Plus who's a good candidate for labia surgery? How much does labiaplasty cost? See before and after labiaplasty photos, and find out why it's so important to pick the right doctor.
- Labiaplasty Reviews
- Read these labiaplasty reviews from some of Dr. Hailparn's actual patients.
- Labiaplasty Surgery: Why Women Want Labia Reduction Surgery
- Some women want labiaplasty surgery for purely aesthetic reasons, while others have medical or functional issues that need to be addressed.
- Labiaplasty Gone Wrong: Botched Labiaplasty
- When labiaplasty goes wrong, it can leave the patient traumatized. Read this story. See labiaplasty gone wrong photos. Discover the importance of finding the right doctor.